Parents, this is not the time for panic. We need to be calm, cool and collected, not only for ourselves, but for our children.
As school has been cancelled, many of you have to stay home with your children. Structure is important, so keep the same schedule as if your children are in school. Tips to keep them occupied:
- First, listen to your child’s fear and ask what is on their mind.
- Assure them that people get sick and recover. No different than having a cold.
- Have school at home with reading books, doing projects such as arts-n-crafts.
- Take a walk. The weather is getting warmer and they could use the exercise.
- Have a cooking class with them. Let them make a dinner menu and teach them how to prepare it.
- Do some spring cleaning, not only the regular chores, such as dusting and vacuuming, but take an inventory of your life.
- Have your child help you start a garden.
- Play cards and board games.
- Have them check on an elderly neighbor to see if anything is needed.
As bad as it is, this is a good time to communicate to one another, be close to one another, serve one another and assure one another that if God is with us, no one is against us.
Praying with your children is very important. The following prayer can be recited together:
In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
O Lord God, Who is rich in mercy and with Your wise providence governs our life,
Hear our prayer. Receive our repentance for our sins and accept our supplication to keep our church safe, our home safe, our city and all cities from this coronavirus and any other virus.
Protect the world from famine, flood and invasion of enemies and civil war.
We entreat You, O God, Who loves all people, to unite us and remove all wrath and disease against us. Deliver us from any danger. Hear us O God, our Savior, the hope of all the ends of the earth, and of those who are far off upon the sea; and show compassion on us O Master, on our many sins, have mercy on us.
Bless our homes, strengthen our parents and civil authorities and give us peace to fill our heart with faith so we can place our hope in You.
For You are a merciful and loving God, and to You we give glory, to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, now and forever and to the ages of ages.